Blasting resumed without a hitch Thursday at the site of last month's botched explosion along the Second Avenue subway construction project on Manhattan's Upper East Side. NY1's Tina Redwine filed the following report.
The first blast went off without a hitch on Thursday and everyone seemed relieved.
"There was no movement, no shaking, no scary smoke," said one person nearby. "So this time it was better."
It was the first dynamite ignited at the north west corner of 72nd Street and Second Avenue since a botched blast four weeks ago spewed debris eight stories high, raining down on the intersection.
Miraculously, no one was hurt.
Last week, the MTA released its report that found the contractor did not follow the proper procedures in rigging the explosion.
On Friday, that contractor, SSK, was allowed to resume blasting three blocks away. But the MTA ordered extra precautions. A second blaster has to double-check the work and a supervisor has to go over the pre-blast checkoff list.
Some businesses are happy the work has resumed because it means the end of construction is at least a bit nearer.
"They’ve been very, very good," said a shoe repairman. "They've just had the problem that one time."
But many who work and live nearby are still worried.
"It's going to happen, the same thing," said one. "I'm a little scared. you know. I'm not happy those guys start doing the blast again."
"I'm very cynical," said a second. "I know there's more. I think you just fix what you get caught at and that's just the way you proceed.
The first phase of the Second Avenue subway, with stops at 96th, 86th and 72nd Street, isn't scheduled to be completed for another four years.