Fire officials believe a carelessly discarded cigarette may have led to a fire that killed an elderly woman inside her apartment in the Williamsburg section of Brooklyn on Saturday night.
Flames engulfed the 12th floor apartment of Nelly Bermudez, 78, in the Taylor-Wythe Houses on Ross Street.
Bermudez was found dead in her living room.
About 60 firefighters responded to the scene at around 11 p.m. and got the fire under control before it spread to any other apartments.
Fire officials suspect Bermudez may have fallen asleep while smoking.