Friday, October 24, 2014

Follow us:
Follow @NY1 on Twitter Follow NY1 News on Facebook Follow NY1 News on Google+ Subscribe to this news feed 

News

East Harlem Blast Victims Receive Con Ed Payment

  • Text size: + -
TWC News: East Harlem Blast Victims Receive Con Ed Payment
Play now

Time Warner Cable video customers:
Sign in with your TWC ID to access our video clips.

  To view our videos, you need to
enable JavaScript. Learn how.
install Adobe Flash 9 or above. Install now.

Then come back here and refresh the page.

Consolidated Edison says it is making payments to survivors and residents displaced by the explosion that leveled two buildings and killed eight people in East Harlem.

Officials at the company say they have given an undisclosed amount of money to each of the nearly 90 victims after having "one-on-one" meetings with them.

The payments come with no conditions, and survivors can still sue Con Ed.

While investigators are still working to determine the cause of the blast, they did find a leak in a gas main next to 1646 Park Avenue, one of the two buildings destroyed.

Con Ed operates that gas line, which pumps natural gas and is said to be more than a century old.

The city says the payments are not part of the proposed relief plan, which is said to have amassed about $250,000 so far.

Related Stories

10.11.12.245 ClientIP: 54.166.108.167, 23.62.6.61 UserAgent: CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) Profile: TWCSAMLSP