Chelsea Exhibit Displays Storm's "After Affects"
A new exhibit in Chelsea shows how damaged art work can be seen in a new way and how the arts community has come together in the wake of Hurricane Sandy. NY1's Stephanie Simon filed the following report.
To view our videos, you need to
install Adobe Flash 9 or above. Install now.
Then come back here and refresh the page.
When dealing with a crisis like Sandy we all had to be a little creative, but many artists affected have taken that a step further, creating something new from what was lost.
Artist Margaret Inga Wiatrowski lost everything from her storage space in Chelsea. So she created new works -- her impressions of the devastated Rockaway peninsula.
"For me this is away to salvage something to try recapture something that is on the cusp of being lost forever," says Wiatrowski.
It's one of many works of art on view at CHASHAMA Gallery in Chelsea. The new exhibit "After Affects" was organized by the New York Foundation for the Arts. NYFA created an emergency Sandy relief fund for artists, but realized more needed to be done.
"So we came up with the idea of an exhibition so that work that his been damaged or restores or repurposed or even new work coming out of the storm can be exhibited to the public," says NYFA Executive Director Michael Royce.
Brooklyn Artist Golnar Adili was out of the country when her studio space in DUMBO was flooded.
I kept getting emails from New York about the flood line and eventually it was six feet and that's when my heart sank because I had all my tools, some artwork and an archive of my father's belongings," says Adili.
Her friends spent four days in protective suits salvaging what they could, including a photographic diary.
Many of the works on display of course have serious water damage but, interestingly, some of the artists feel mother nature actually improved their art.
"This piece is from Rodney Dickson and it was completely flooded by water and took on a new form and new colorization and the artist actually said that this work is now better than before," says Royce.
All the works are for sale with 90 percent of the proceeds going directly to the artists. The other 10 percent goes to NYFA's Sandy Relief Fund to help other artists in need.
The exhibit is is up through February 24.
For more information, visit www.nyfa.org.