Updated 05/07/2012 04:08 PM
Charges Dropped Against Man Arrested In "Well-Dressed Groper" Probe
To view our videos, you need to
install Adobe Flash 9 or above. Install now.
Then come back here and refresh the page.
Charges were dropped Monday against a man police thought was the so-called "well-dressed groper".
An attorney representing Karl Vanderwoude, 26, says prosecutors decided to dismiss the case after email records and dinner and taxi receipts showed his client was not near the scenes of the alleged incidents.
The international finance worker was arrested last month and charged with forcible touching, sexual abuse and unlawful surveillance.
"I'm just relieved that this has come to an end. It's finally over and I can get back to life as normal," Vanderwoude said.
A tipster had identified Vanderwoude as the sharply dressed man who groped women several times in the last few months and tried to shoot cell phone video up the skirt of one of the victims.
Two women later picked Vanderwoude out of a line-up and he was charged with two of the five incidents connected to the alleged groping.
"I was in shock and disbelief. It felt like a terrible dream. Really just in shock. I knew from the beginning it wasn't me and there would be evidence to show it," Vanderwoude said.
Vanderwoude's attorney concedes with such strong ID's and a striking physical resemblance his client would have certainly been headed to trial.
As he left court, the soft spoken man showed no anger at becoming briefly ensnared in such a seedy, high profile case but said he was intent on ensuring New Yorkers forget about his connection to it.
Police say the investigation into the incidents is still on going and so far no other suspects have been named.