Fire Damages Popular Murray Hill Restaurant
To view our videos, you need to
install Adobe Flash 9 or above. Install now.
Then come back here and refresh the page.
The popular Sarge's Deli in the Murray Hill neighborhood of Manhattan went up in flames Sunday evening.
More than 150 firefighters responded to the three-alarm fire.
Officials say the fire started behind a stove in the kitchen and quickly spread through the vents.
No one was hurt, but it took firefighters more than an hour to bring it under control.
"The fire extended into the duct work and then went up into the second floor and third floor. We stretched hose lines and pulled open the ceilings and extinguished the fire," said FDNY Deputy Chief Thomas McKavanagh.
"We saw some flames coming up the vents up to the top floor and I could just see red flashes coming up from all the way down on the first floor," said Brad Kent, an eyewitness.
The homestyle restaurant, which has been around since the 1960s, was started by a retired New York City policeman, according to several online reviews.